After responding to a question on Linked In I'm a Drupal newbie, do you know of a free online course that can help me understand better how to use and manage Drupal? I thought I'd take the answers and then develop them further into this guide.
Naturally the first place to begin is Drupal's own documentation which contains loads of useful info. Beyond this you can use the
Drupal forum or Drupal Groups to find solutions or ask your own questions.
Once you've used Drupal for a spell and found Google to be your best buddy when trying to track down code tips and tricks, you might be thinking there must be a better way to learn Drupal. Well you can't beat getting your hands dirty and getting stuck into some coding by trial and error but if you're looking for a more structured method to learn Drupal I'm hoping the list below should go some way to help you.
You'll find Drupal tutorials for beginners, guides, how to Drupal theming and modules plus lots more.
- How to learn Drupal (without losing your mind)
Podcasts & Video Chats
- Free Drupal ebook - How to use Drupal in 7 hours for beginners
- Drupal 7 Development by Example Beginner's Guide by Kurt Madel
- Using Drupal by Angela Byron, Addison Berry and Bruno De Bondt
- Drupal 7: Visual QuickStart Guide by Tom Geller
- The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 (various authors)
- Drupal 7: the Essentials by Johan Falk and NodeOne
- Pro Drupal 7 Development by Todd Tomlinson and John VanDyk
- Drupal Association YouTube channel
All selections were chosen by me and no inducement was provided by the content authors or Amazon!
I hope this is useful, if you have more links to add or can add your own view on one of the resources above I'd love to hear from you.
Update April 2013: check out the Drupal Association YouTube channel for videos from all the DrupalCons over the past few years.